There are many causes of memory loss. I have included a few items to review. It can take 4-6 months to see a change, so continue even if you do not see a lot of improvement. The earlier you start these changes, the better. When you’re lacking some of the following minerals and vitamins, this would be like your car running without enough oil or gas.
1) Check Mineral/Vitamins
- B12 deficiency: need a level of the B12. You may add some liquid methyl B12. See below for places to purchase this
- Vitamin D deficiency: check level of D; it’s important to understand that once here, vitamin D level is low.
- Check comprehensive metabolic panel and folate labs (goal is 40-60)
- Make sure using salt with iodine. The sea salt with iodine is best.
2) Check Medications
- Review all medications and avoid over-the- counter sleeping pills like Benadryl, Xanax, and Valium.
- Some studies indicate that statins which we use for lowering cholesterol can affect memory: trial of stopping statins, OR add CoQ10 supplement while taking these medications.
- Brain fish oil supplement DHA dosage unknown, 1500 may be good, memory builder from Amway
- Zinc Supplement
- Turmeric may be helpful. This is a terrific anti-inflammatory and there are many studies that show it can be helpful either in a capsule or just add a teaspoon to water each day.
- Gut Flora: probiotics, instead of probiotics, increase consumption of the follow, which should be organic: kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, yogurt
- Alpha lipoic acid, viamin C, vitamin E, CoQ10, Zinc, and Vitamin D are important supplements
- www.pureencapsulation.com has newer combination supplements for memory, which include: L carnitine supplement and liquid B12
- www.mercola.com has great supplements
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Exercise: Daily walking can reduce stress and thus cortisol
- Blood Pressure: keep 130/80 to 140/90 depending on age
- Be sure to get enough sleep. Use sleep app, which will tell you how well you are sleeping
- Stop any GMO foods: soy, corn is especially problematic. See handout for other names for GM
- Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables and decrease Gluten as much as possible
- Increase consumption of good fats including: Avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs, butter, raw nuts, and dark chocolate. Try 1 tablespoon per day of coconut oil
- Turmeric Tea: 1 cup almond milk, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon and honey to taste