French Green Lentil Salad
Ingredients for the lentils
- 3 cups French green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 4 stalks celery, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium shallots, finely diced
- ¼ cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
Ingredients for the dressing
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- To make the lentils, combine the lentils, water, and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender but firm.
- Remove from the heat, drain any remaining liquid, and transfer the lentils to a large bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, tomatoes, shallots, and parsley.
- To make the dressing, combine the mustard, vinegar, Herbes de Provence, pepper, and garlic in a small dish, and whisk.
- Pour the dressing over the lentil mixture and toss well to combine. Season with salt to taste, if desired. Serve chilled.