Hollywood Bowl Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions, white and light green parts
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Rinse the rice, and place it in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl, and let it cool for a few minutes until no longer steaming.
- Add the zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, pepper, and salt to taste. Mix well. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.
- Cover and chill, or let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to meld.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve cold or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
See more healthy recipes at Forks Over Knives.